I know going to the gym can be a struggle for some of us most days, but what I’ve learned recently is that getting there is the hardest part. I’ve also learned that you never regret a workout. I know that with our busy schedules it is often easy to make excuses for why we don’t have time to go to the gym, but just remind yourself how good you feel after an intense workout and envision your goals for the future. There are a few things we can do to make getting up an hour early and getting our booties to the gym a little bit easier. Here are my workout essentials:
- A good pair of sneakers – Pick a pair that suits your needs. As someone who spends half of my workout doing cardio, I need a pair with solid support. Knowing where you need support is essential in avoiding possible injuries. I love this pair by ASICS.
- Stylish workout gear – I know it’s cliche, but if you look good, you’ll feel good. Having a cute new workout outfit to show off at the gym is definitely an added bonus. You can spend as much or as little as you want on workout gear. I usually am a bargain shopper when it comes to clothes I’m buying specifically to sweat in . . . so I like to shop at Target and Old Navy for good deals. Find this top and these cropped pants at Target.
- A good water bottle – This one is pretty obvious, but I wanted to mention it because I am OBSESSED with my S’well water bottle. This bottle keeps my water cold for 24 hours. I got it for Christmas and have been using it constantly ever since. S’well is such an amazing company that is really trying to make a difference with their goal of eliminating the millions of plastic water bottle waste that is taking over landfills and oceans every year. They also work closely with several charities. If you are looking for a really great and stylish water bottle and want to support an awesome company, I highly suggest checking out S’well.
- A good pair of socks – This is one that people don’t usually think about, and one that I only recently discovered. I used to just wear my everyday socks with my sneakers until recently I tried out a thicker pair from Puma. For some reason, these socks made such a difference in the comfort of my feet when I was running. They were an added layer of cushion that made a huge difference. If you haven’t found a good pair of socks to wear with your sneakers (especially for running) I really recommend it.
- Headband – There is nothing more annoying than trying to work out with pieces of fly-away hair clinging to your sweaty face. Wearing a headband while I workout is essential. I love this one by Under Armour as it doesn’t slide off my head.
- Headphones and a killer playlist – The music you listen to can make or break your workout. Playing a pump-up jam can really improve your energy while working out. Filling your playlist with upbeat songs can make that treadmill run just a little easier. If you want to know what songs I currently have on my workout playlist, you can follow me on Spotify at jessilyn3.
- A lock – one of the more practical ones on the list, but definitely a necessity. I love this cute pink one from Amazon.
- Gym bag – I’ve been in the market for a new gym bag for some time now. One with several compartments is ideal so that you can separate dirty and clean clothes. Lauren Conrad’s post “Currently Craving: Gym Bags” has 8 really stylish bags that I’ve been eyeing and considering as a future purchase. If you are looking for a new bag, I would suggest checking out her post!
What are your workout essentials?
xo, simply jess